Saturday, September 11, 2010

"What can I do to help?"

I'm cashing in on your offers of help over the past year. I hope you meant it when you said you wanted to do something.


The first annual Raleigh/Durham CureSearch Walk will be held February 26, 2011. Here's where you come in: I need you to join Team Eve and raise money for children's cancer research. CureSearch gives all of its money to pediatric cancer; the American Cancer Society gives only 3%, even though their donate page has a picture of a young child on it. That's like me showing you the three percent of my house that is immaculate and letting you believe the rest of the place looks just as good. (Hey, my kid had cancer. I don't like to clean. I'm sure I can tie the two together somehow.)

Here's how to join: Click here and select "I agree." That's pretty much it. Enter in your information and start spreading the word to your friends. It's $10 to register. I know you spent more than that on Fantasy Football.

What's that? You don't live locally and can't come to the event? Why didn't you say so!? You can register as a Virtual Walker! It's just as easy, and perfect for people who might have an aversion to sweating, like me. (Which is why you'll never see me with a suntan or at a gym.) Virtual Walkers are very important, so please sign up as one if you are planning to donate, anyway. You'll get to be a part of the team and recruit other members. All the cool people are doing it.

Hey, local cancer parents- START A TEAM! After clicking "I agree," select "Start a team." The more teams, the better.

Cancer kills more kids than any other childhood disease COMBINED. Eve is not out of the woods; her disease could come back. She could develop a secondary cancer as a result of chemotherapy and radiation. She is at risk for heart and liver damage. Bowel obstruction. Orthopedic issues. Learning disabilities. We need research dollars to develop drugs that don't do as much harm as good. We are still treating our children with drugs from the 1950s.

This is the reason I walk:


What's yours?

2 comments: